The COVID-19 pandemic has reverberated across the world, laying bare power inequalities and threatening to set back decades of gains on gender equality and social inclusion. The pandemic has been especially devastating for marginalized populations around the world who face disproportionate hardships in the face of COVID-19. This is why gender equality and social inclusion is critical for international development and humanitarian response organizations as they work on adapting program responses and staff wellness initiatives.
Members of the Gender Practitioners Collaborative (GPC) and the Endorsers’ Circle have been collecting data as well as developing and sharing resources to support inclusive and equitable design, programming, and implementation for COVID response and recovery efforts.
This post is the first of a series of “round ups,” in which we will periodically share a summary of recently published resources from GPC and Endorsers Circle Members. Please continue to follow us for updates!
ACDI/VOCA has published blog posts and a resource to support programming and internal operations in the integration of gender and social inclusion as part of COVID-19 adaptations and response:
- Addressing the Disproportionate Impact of COVID-19 on Women and Girls (blog)
- Gender and Social Inclusion and COVID-19: Impacts and Recommendations for Agriculture and Market Systems Project Implementation
CARE has published a series of gender analyses and guidance briefs to support gender integration and the protection of the rights of women and girls:
- Global Rapid Gender Analysis (RGA) on COVID-19, conducted in consultation with the International Rescue Committee (IRC), is for humanitarians working in fragile contexts that are likely to be affected by the COVID-19 crisis. It is organized around broad themes and areas of focus of particular importance to those whose programming advances gender equality and reduces gender inequalities.
- Regional and Country Rapid Gender Analyses have taken place in almost every region (Latin America, East Central & Southern Africa, West Africa, Asia, and Middle East & North Africa) and several countries where CARE operates.
- Gender Implications of COVID-19 Outbreaks in Development and Humanitarian Settings was developed before the Global RGA, to review lessons learned from previous public health emergencies. It reviews gender implications of COVID-19 across sectors and provides recommendations for those providing health service delivery, humanitarian organization, national governments and donors.
- Implications of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Women and Girls’ Economic Rights: As the fallout from the pandemic deepens, CARE is drawing attention to the short- and longer-term effects of the crisis on women’s economic wellbeing. This brief provides in-depth suggestions on how to integrate a gender lens into specific aspects of the economic justice and rights discussion.
- Gender-based Violence (GBV) and COVID-19 Guidance Note: This guidance has been prepared for CARE staff to adapt existing GBV prevention, response and risk mitigation programming, as well as internal and external messaging.
- Food & Nutrition Security Pandemic Response Program Brief: This is a brief overview of CARE’s Food & Nutrition Security Pandemic Response Program. The program builds on She Feeds the World’s holistic model to improve food and nutrition security by helping women farmers claim their rights and receive the support they need in the face of the pandemic.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
CRS has published a series of guidance for partners related to gender and COVID-19 that is available at CRS’ Institute for Capacity Strengthening site. This site is continuously being updated with new materials and translations of existing materials. Examples include:
- Guidance on Gender Considerations in Programming During the COVID-19 Crisis
- Considerations for Partners: Managing Gender Implications of COVID-19 for staff within our organizations (English, French, Spanish and Arabic)
- CRS COVID-19 Safe and Dignified Programming: Protection Mainstreaming and Mental Health Psychosocial Support Guidance (English, Spanish)
- Guidance on Agriculture and Livelihoods Programming During the Covid-19 Pandemic (gender integrated) (English, French, Spanish)
- Considerations for Social Cohesion and Peacebuilding, Protection And Social Justice, Governance And Equitable Inclusive Participation Of Women, Youth And Vulnerable And Marginalized Populations During The Covid-19 Crisis (English)
Oxfam America has published a series of blog posts articulating key considerations for COVID response:
- What Comes After America First? A feminist foreign policy might be just what the US needs.
- Mother’s Day and the importance of unpaid care work during the COVID-19 pandemic
- What should go in the next COVID-19 stimulus package?
- COVID19: Safeguarding essential workers in our supermarkets
Please check out the great resources and check back for future updates, as we will share additional guidance and information about how our Members and Endorsers are promoting gender and social inclusion as part of COVID-19 response.